Sunday, January 18, 2009

How powerful and mighty is HE!

So, this term, I am taking an intro to astronomy class. The first few weeks have been quite frustrating as my teacher and I have different beliefs in how the world began. I started to regret even taking the class because each time my teacher spoke about "The Big Bang" and how some scientist believe that the universe began, I started to tune him out. Thus, not paying attention, and being uninterested. This is not a good recipe for that 'A' that I want at the end of the term. I asked the Lord (how wonderful He is) why he had put me in this class at all!! Then in class we started to discuss the size of the earth, solar system, galaxy, and universe (which has no end). Wow, was I blown away! I am soo happy to be in this class now because I get to learn about God's creation. It is INCREDIBLE! Here's a look.


Our planet (Earth): A view from space
Can you imagine how small we are?


Our solar system: We are the planet 3rd closest to the Sun
Again, can you imagine how small we are?

The Milky Way Galaxy: Our solar system is somewhere on the outer edge
Where???

The Universe (part of it anyway): Each of those specks are different galaxies
We are sooooo TINY!!

"O Lord, our Lord,

How majestic is Your name in all the earth,

Who have displayed Your splendor above the heavens!

From the mouth of infants and nursing babes

You have established strength because of your adversaries,

To make the enemy and the revengeful cease.

When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,

The moon and the stars which You have ordained;

What is man that You take thought of him,

And the son of man that You care for him?

Yet You have made him a little lower than God,

And You crown him with glory and majesty!

You make him to rule over the works of Your hands;

You have put all things under his feet,

All sheep and oxen, And also the beasts of the field,

The birds of the heavens and the fish of the seas,

Whatever passes through the paths of the seas.

O Lord, our Lord,

How majestic is Your name in all the earth!" - Psalm 8

These pictures sure put our world into perspective. I am so humbled by this, but mostly comforted. Comforted because I know that my life is in the hand of God. Wow! Me? My life? Why would a God so powerful and awesome care about me? It is difficult, almost impossible, for me to fathom.
I love you, Lord. And thank you for loving me (FIRST)!

4 comments:

Becky said...

He sure is amazing! It is impossible to comrehend how He does it and how He is able to know each and every one of us.

Mom said...

You go girl! Love ya, Terry

Jessie said...

I love this post! And to think that He holds it all in the palm of His hand.

I know we talked about this when you were here, but I love this topic. I love going back to this perspective of how tiny we are & how HUGE & great God is. Oh yah, that's why we serve Him, that's why we praise Him... b/c He's God. Because He's powerful & He's worthy. I agree with you, IT IS comforting (& very needed sometimes) to do a little mind check & reframe- putting us- no, OUR GALAXY- as a tiny speck & God on the throne.

Speaking of comfort, Julia... "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 5For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows." -1 Corin.1:3-5

Why would a God so big care enough about little me & my trivial troubles? And then decide to COMFORT me.... wow

How Powerful & Mighty is He, you ask? I would say, just as the universe is limitless, His power & might so much more limitless. That's what I intend to spend eternity finding out! Can't wait to be there with you worshiping the splendor of our GOD...

Love you JuJu. Thanks for those pictures... they're great. I think we should print them & put them in our house so we're reminded of how samll we are. :)




I think you'll like s

Jessie said...

Sorry about that last half sentence... I started to write & forgot to delete it. :) der... And I'm a college graduate! ;)